Rockbridge Reads! wants every parent, grandparent and caregiver to have the tools they need to teach the young children in their lives. If we all work together, we can reach our goal of seeing every child fully prepared to start Kindergarten.
Newsletters Find our monthly newsletters here. Each month highlights a different milestone and idea for learning. If you would like to subscribe to the newsletter, please e-mail us at email@example.com
- December 2014, Books
- January 2015, Language
- February 2015, Social Skills
- March 2015, Read Aloud Tips
- April 2015, Fine Motor Skills
- May 2015, Gross Motor Skills
- Visit Rockbridge Regional Library for books, story time, crafting and more.
- The RAISE Infant Program provides developmental screening and services to families with infants and toddlers, birth to age three.
- Websites for local school divisions:
Milestones What to expect as your child grows. If you have a question or concern about how your child is developing, talk with your child’s doctor and/or contact the RAISE Infant Program (for children birth to three) or your local school division (for children two to five).
- Sign up for text messages from Text 4 Baby. Information is sent throughout pregnancy and baby’s first year.
- Find milestones specific to literacy at Read Out and Read.
- American Academy of Pediatrics provides comprehensive, user-friendly information at HealthyChildren.org.
- The Center for Disease Control also publishes milestones through the “Learn the Signs. Act Early” campaign.
- Our partner agency, Smart Beginnings of Great Roanoke, provides free developmental screening. Complete a form on-line and you will receive personalized follow-up information.
Reading Children of all ages benefit when they are read to! Reading with your child promotes bonding and security as well as vocabulary.
- Reach Out and Read offers suggestions on books for children at different ages.
- Make the most of your reading time with Tools and Tips for Reading with Children by the United Way.
- When you read free on-line books from We Give Books, the Pearson Foundation donates physical books to children.
Learning Everyone can be a teacher. Find ideas here for how to teach children through play and everyday activities.
- The United Way sponsored program Born Learning shares ways to” turn everyday moments into fun learning opportunities.”
- Follow Rockbridge Reads! on Pinterest for our latest suggestions for playing, crafting, and reading with your child.